Sunday, January 31, 2010

Stand Up and Speak!

Now, I know that probably my most regular viewer is my sister, but just in case I get a few people from elsewhere, including my own college campus, I'm going to go ahead and post this, because, like Definition, not only did it need to be said, but people need to listen. There are real issues out there, that real girls/women face, and sometimes nobody wants to speak out about anything because it's like the subject is taboo. Like this is something that you know is going on, but you can't say anything because you don't want somebody looking sideways at you and wondering what issues you have that you aren't sharing.

This - This isn't about that. This is about raising awareness for those who might otherwise be clueless, and about saying that it's really okay to be different in any sense of the word. And when I get the lead out of my ass and write what's been rattling around in my head for quite a while, then you'll see what I mean a little clearer. Until then, there is this.

National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

Do I have one? No. Does this still impact me? Yes.

Girls - especially the younger ones - get pressured from the media and semi-unrealistic views of how women should look. That they shouldn't be a specific body type - pear, hour glass - and that they shouldn't have too man curves anywhere or else they're fat. Gross over-simplification? Probably. But that's the way that most of us females out here think. It takes a long time to be comfortable with the skin that you're wearing, and seeing images of women that you can wrap your entire hand around and still have room to spare is not helping them go through that transition stage that we all hit, when we start growing in odd places. And some of us are still waiting, in some respects.

NEDAW is about respecting yourself, and saying, This is how I am. This is me. And I am beautiful for the skin that I wear, but more importantly, for the person that I am. And when we start realizing this, then we can start helping girls who think that they need to always watch what they eat or if they've eaten too much, throw it up, as a culture. Perfection is not attainable for everyone has flaws. When we start realizing that perfection on an individual level is in our flaws, and our uniqueness, then we can make headway into getting those who need help, the right help.

And we do this by standing up and speaking out.



Thank you for listening. Now I hope that you speak.

No comments:

"The difference between life and the movies is that a script has to make sense, and life doesn't."

-Joseph L. Mankiewicz