Wednesday, November 4, 2009

NaNoWriMo

I can already see it now. You happy readers looking at the title and going, "She's finally lost is and is now typing gibberish as well as speaking it."

But I'm not. Really, I'm not.

You'd think in this day and age, with all the abbreviations we have - IRA, NRA, CIA, FBI, WTF (pretty sure the last one is my personal favorite, but that's besides the point) - that some of them would be a little more recognizable. I'm with you guys. I saw this for the first time and used my favorite abbreviation in the comfort and safety of my fourth floor single. Granted the door was open, but I think my neighbors are used to the odd expletive. I usually work on my organic chemistry homework in the common space right outside my door. Sometimes it frustrates me.

I digress.

NaNoWriMo is a little more than gibberish. It stands for National Novel Writing Month. Which, happily enough, is November. One month to crank out an entire novel. 50,000 words.

I took a moment, mostly because I was curious, and looked at the number of words I have in my word documents pertaining to my novel. Parts I-VII, and the mini-scene that I wrote to slide into the beginning when Ral's having his flashback-thing. I will tell you now that not only did I run this number (and the math needed to provide it) through my calculator, but I also did it carefully by hand and got the same result.

295,329 words.

And it's not done being transferred from book to computer. And it's not done yet, period.

Theoretically, I should be able to crank out 50,000 words no problem. But in a month? Maybe. Possibly.

I've got an idea, and a way to write it down. We're good to go.

And if I don't make 50,000 words in a month, I'm okay with that, because at least I gave it a good shot.

Now if you excuse me, I hear carbonyl rearrangements calling my name.

No comments:

"The difference between life and the movies is that a script has to make sense, and life doesn't."

-Joseph L. Mankiewicz