Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wandering Abroad

For the most part, most of you know that I'm going abroad to Wales this fall. Well, before you can actually go there are all sorts of meetings that you have to sit through - and they classify them all as mandatory - one of which is called Passport to Success. It's not so much an informational meeting about the nitty gritty details of studying abroad (airfare, housing, classes) but more about the experience, the expectations you have going in, and what you hope to come away with at the end of the semester. So, at one point, he handed out some paper and posed to us some general questions.

What are my goals?
How do I want to be?
When I'm back, what did I do?


And we spent a couple of minutes filling them out. It wasn't meant as a long thing, just short and sweet. Considering I'm cleaning my room (I have people coming over at 4 and the place was a mess), I found the paper and wanted to share with you what I want out of the experience that's coming up. More or less.

- I want to learn enough Welsh to introduce myself and say more than hello.

- I want to be open and take every opportunity that comes my way.

- Watch a football game in London.

- Regret nothing.

- Make friends.

- Learn and understand culture different than mine.

- Have an awesome birthday.

- Enough contact with back home to ensure my mother I'm still breathing but be fairly independent.

- Get lost multiple times and be okay with it.

No comments:

"The difference between life and the movies is that a script has to make sense, and life doesn't."

-Joseph L. Mankiewicz