Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Things to Know: International Edition III

- I don't want to hear a word about where I've been blogging wise about college, maybe what Murfee's been up to, and just generally life in general because you definitely don't want to hear when the last time I wrote in my journal was.

- I feel like one exceptional fail of an Abroadest because I didn't turn an article in to my editor for this week's edition.

- Horoscopes are, however, still under my domain.

- Which reminds me that I have a batch I need to do.

- Kind of like making cookies.

- While having the song Oh Maria on YouTube on repeat.

- Well, that song along with Joyful, Joyful (from Sister Act 2), Zero to Hero from Hercules, Club Can't Handle Me by Flo Rida, Spectacular, Spectacular from Moulin Rouge, and on one occasion Hallelujah from Shrek.

- Oh Maria is the one from Sister Act, in case you were wondering.

- I had to post a Facebook link on the wall of my editor for her to stop asking me WTF is Skip-Bo!?

- Got approval, booked the hostel, and it's official - I'm staying in London an extra day next week.

- Which gives me the opportunity to see my friend from high school currently studying at Oxford.

- Wanna know something very funny? Hollywood gets things a little bit wrong when it comes to history in certain parts of the world.

- Much as I like Mel Gibson - on his good days - there are some facts that are just quite screwed up about Braveheart.

- Though, way back when, if you had a tattoo, you were considered high class.

- If you didn't have ink, you tried the next best thing which was painting yourself with a plant called woad. Made you blue.

- Woad also acted as an antiseptic. So it was okay for you to get scratched in battle - since you ran into it naked, if you were a Celt - because it would heal better.

- It wasn't okay to get scratched, but you know what I'm trying to say, right?

- Now, before you went into battle, you also got yourself drunk on lots of honey mead.

- Another interesting point about woad is that it also acts as an hallucinogen.

- Naked + Alcohol + Hallucinogenic Blue Woad = No fear when facing down a Roman.

- (This is exactly as I have it written in my notebook) Celts vs Celts: Drink stupid for a week; Celts vs Romans: Damn Romans kept coming back.

- Celts had body hair. Because Romans shaved themselves, they considered the Celts to be barbarians. Because they were hairy.

- A Celtic chief could be either male or female.

- If you weren't feeling well, you took something valuable and threw it into the lake and wished to the goddess that you would feel better.

- They drained a lake in Wales and found all sorts of neat shit - including a chariot.

- How badly do you feel to chuck a chariot in a lake?

- Want to have a hairstyle like a Celt of old? Get what equals cement, animal fat, and coat your hair in it. Then spike it.

- Me thinks I'll keep my slightly unruly head of hair. No offense.

- And I think I'll sleep now.

1 comment:

Connie said...

In your travels...find some Absinthe and tell me if it's good or not. We bought some last week and I don't like it but I was told the REAL stuff is in London and is much better.

"The difference between life and the movies is that a script has to make sense, and life doesn't."

-Joseph L. Mankiewicz