Friday, August 6, 2010

Things to Know XV

- The stripes on my shoulders at work don't mean a damn thing. As I said to one of my tables earlier, we're all in the same boat.

- I cringed for nearly eight minutes after that last one.

- I was laying in bed this morning, listening to the traffic and wondering why it sounded like everybody was doing at least 65 by the house, and then realized it's NASCAR.

- Some people in this world, no matter how hot it gets, really need to keep their shirt on in public.

- There is such a drink as a "Vodka Relax". Whether it actually helps you reach your goal, I'm not sure.

- When a customer says to you, "When you get a minute..." they rarely ever mean for you to get them what you want in that minute. Because you rarely have that minute to yourself.

- Not a big fan of the phrase "When you get a minute..." since they usually want it right then and they wouldn't ask for it if they didn't want.

- Twenty-four people is a little much to have for a full four course meal.

- Then again, rock it.

- Greg laughed at me (after jokingly ragging on me) about my look of sheer horror as the spider dropped from one of the ceiling tiles to nearly land on some poor kid's shoulder on his way out.

- I am not a big fan of spiders. Seriously.

- Though Greg looks at me funny when I smash them into the wall, even though I tell him I'll clean it up (and always do).

- I've been reading a bunch of Age of Sail novels (Lord Ramage, anyone?) but I don't really know that much about actual sailing (schooners, sailboats, anything not run with a motor) so I've been asking Greg and Tony, who are a wealth of interesting if slightly useless (at times) knowledge.

- Greg drew me a little diagram on a piece of paper with an explanation about how a ship tacks.

- I'm still not sure I fully understand and the diagram got thrown away. I think.

- Some days I feel like Wonder Woman. Other days, more like I'm a bug and I've gone twelve rounds with a windshield.

- I really don't know anything about wines.

- Especially the differences between a riesling and a pinot grigio.

- Both of those, however, are white wines. That much I know.

- Other than that, you're on your own.

- I am completely craving bread pudding right now. The kind they make at the restaurant - homemade covered in some sort of icing, chocolate, and caramel.

- On that note, I think I might go get some sleep.

No comments:

"The difference between life and the movies is that a script has to make sense, and life doesn't."

-Joseph L. Mankiewicz